Aseem Trivedi, a freelance designer, was arrested on charges of sedition after publishing drawings on corruption in government, one of which depicts the Parliament nt like a gigantic chamber pot.
"If telling the truth makes me a traitor, then I am one," said Aseem Trivedi court, where he was detained Sunday night following a complaint filed by a lawyer of Bombay. "If I stop for sedition while I realize service to the nation, then I will continue."
Justice ordered that he be remanded in custody until September 16. But at a hearing Monday, a court in Mumbai has decided to extend the period of detention until September 24, pending his trial, told by news agency to his lawyer, Vijay Hiremath.
The Indian government has suffered a wave of criticism recently for blocking of Internet content, measures he had justified his desire to ease ethnic tensions in Bangalore and other cities.
Accounts of Twitter who ridiculed Prime Minister Manmohan Singh have also been blocked.
Markandey Katju, Chairman of Press in India and former Judge of the Supreme Court, defended Trivedi.
"I believe that the designer has done nothing illegal," he said in a statement. "In a democracy, many things are said, some true and some false."
According to the Hindu newspaper, the designs for which Trivedi was arrested for one show only the author of the 2008 Mumbai attacks still alive urinating on the Constitution of India and another parliament in the form of a Giant chamber pot.

0 comments:
Post a Comment